Healthy Fish Taco Weeknight Dinner
Are you looking for something new for weeknight dinners? Give this easy fish taco recipe a try! It’s healthy, quick, and helps break up the same old meat and potatoes grind. I know that this may sound like a foreign concept to some of you, but I promise it’s worth trying!
Pin this image for later!
This post contains affiliate links. You can learn more here.
Healthy Fish Tacos? That Sounds Gross!
If you had told me a few years ago that fish tacos would be one of my go-to dinners, I’d think you were crazy. I mean, fish in tacos? Who comes up with this?! Lo and behold, I tried some fish tacos at a local restaurant and fell in love. And they’re not that hard to recreate at home! You just need the right ingredients hiding at your grocery store.
You can have these tacos on their own, or you can whip up some of my Ridiculously Easy Guacamole Recipe that Will Blow Your Mind. Either way, this recipe will make you want to have Mexican Night more often! You can go as crazy as you want with the toppings too. This healthy fish taco recipe is kind of like a base recipe.
Make this Healthy Fish Taco Recipe Your Own!
You’ll find a few suggestions for toppings below with the rest of the recipe. As for what kind of fish you would want in these tacos, it’s also up to you. If this is your first time trying fish tacos, I would try tilapia. It’s a good neutral fish without a whole lot of flavor. But you can totally try haddock, cod, or even orange roughie.
The whole point of this healthy fish taco recipe is to be as quick as possible while still being healthy. That’s why most of these ingredients are pre-made. But I assure you, these ingredients are still very healthy compared to your average freezer T.V. dinner. There’s nothing wrong with getting ingredients ready for you!
About the Ingredients for this Easy Fish Taco Recipe
For this easy fish taco recipe, you will only need four major ingredients:
- Packet of about 4-5 frozen tilapia fillets (or any other white fish you prefer)
- Fish taco seasoning packet
- Corn tortillas
- Southwestern chopped salad kit.
You see, there are actually way more than four ingredients involved with this recipe. But the salad kit has all of the toppings ready to go. It usually comes in a little bag, like in the picture to the left. That’s what makes this fish taco recipe so fast and easy!
You can find a southwestern salad kit at just about any salad section of the grocery store. Just make sure that it has cilantro or southwestern style dressing and small tortilla chips for toppings. That’s the best part! the crunch from the chips really make this an enjoyable taco.
As for the taco seasoning, I use a specific packet just for this purpose. Yes, there actually is a seasoning packet out there just for fish tacos! And it’s so good! It’s a small seasoning packet by Simply Organic, and I get it at my King’s Soopers. Or you can find it on Amazon. I usually find it hiding around the taco seasoning section.
There’s a recipe for fish tacos on the back of the packet that I used when I initially started to make them. But I’ve tweaked and modified it a bit for a better recipe (at least in my opinion). I know that most flavor packets are packed with sodium, but Simply Organic does a good job of avoiding that.
My Super Easy Fish Taco Recipe
- Grease a frying pan however you like (I prefer coconut oil) and set your stovetop to medium heat. Open your tilapia fillets and fry straight from frozen. **The seasoning packet asks you to thaw your fish and marinate it with some olive oil and the seasoning mixed before frying. Feel free to add this step if you like, but if you’re in a time crunch, you can throw the fish straight in the pan just fine.
- Cook your fish until thawed and flaky. Stir regularly to break up the fish into a nice flaky consistency. Add one seasoning packet to your fish and mix evenly.
- Once fish is cooked and seasoning is mixed, remove from heat immediately. Allow the fish to cool a bit while you warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave.
- Arrange the desired amount of tortillas on your plate, and spoon some cooked fish into each one.
- Open your salad kit and top with the cilantro dressing, lettuce, and tortilla chips.
- Enjoy! I love how the lettuce and tortilla chips make this a colorful dish!
Some Helpful Tips and Tricks
I’ve recently noticed that my local grocery stores no longer carry the spice packets anymore, so I have to resort to ordering them on Amazon instead. It’s that good! But if you’re in a pinch and don’t have time to wait for shipping, you can make your own seasoning too.
Simply Organic’s taco seasoning pack consists of paprika, garlic, salt, chili, onion, cilantro, and cumin. So you can create your own version of this seasoning packet no problem! Pick the spices you like and don’t like and make your own rendition. This is also a great option for you to try if you absolutely cannot stand the amount of sodium in flavor packets.
You certainly don’t have to go with the southwestern salad option if you don’t want to, either! I think you could really go to town on the toppings, and try things like feta cheese, spinach, homemade ranch, or anything else you love to put on tacos. Let me know if you do try anything different, I’m always looking for something new to try!
Final Thoughts on Healthy Fish Tacos
This is about the simplest way to get yourself an easy fish taco recipe. It just takes some thinking outside the box to make an easy yet different weeknight meal. My husband and I love it when we don’t know what to make that’s healthy.
If you’ve never had a fish taco and you’re still on the fence, you absolutely must try it! I promise it’s good. To me, it’s the seasoning packet and salad kit that really makes this meal restaurant-worthy. Or you can add your own personal favorite flavors if you know what you want. You can totally recreate the flavors in the seasoning packet!
To finish out this healthy meal, might I suggest some dessert? If you love coconuts, check out my post on 5 Ingredient Healthy Homemade Almond Joys. It satisfies that sweet tooth without sending you into a sugar coma!
Do you love fish tacos? Or do you have your own recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Related to this Healthy Fish Taco Recipe:
- Easy and Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe for People Who Don’t Like to Bake
- The Ultimate Superfood Salad with Nuts, Quinoa, and Homemade Dressing
- Healthy and Sugar-Free Crockpot Apple Cider You Need for Fall
- 30 Easy Lunch Ideas to Pack Instead of a Sandwhich
- How to Make Creamy Frozen Yogurt Pops
- The Absolute Easiest Way to Switch to Natural Living
- How to Make Essential Oil Candles for Your Self-Care Kit